Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Deployment Update #4

Hello friends and family,

The time for heading overseas nears. My time will very likely become very compressed very shortly, so this could be the last update for a while.
Also, I have had unexpected trouble finding a power adapter for EU power plugs, so I could be without power for my various gadgets for a few days over there.
It's possible that my brother Noah could get me one, but I'm not sure how soon he could get to me on post, I could order one from Amazon Prime, but who knows
how long it takes "standard shipping" to get to the AE APO. Hopefully the PX there will have something that will work or a soldier on their way home might want to sell theirs.
Anyway, I've just spent a few wonderful days with Jen at a nice hotel, which makes this place seem like a hell-hole by comparison. Oh well. I'll be used to it by tomorrow, probably.
Jen and I were able to get some rest, which we both needed, catch a movie, watch some favorite TV shows, dine and generally enjoy ourselves. We got to see some museums and a state park with my cousin Jed, which was great fun. We got to have lunch, see a cemetery and one museum with his girlfriend, which was a pleasure. Jed and I bought $5 shades that were the same style, but with different color schemes at an outdoor market near the Mexican border.
Unfortunately, I had a cold, which sapped my energy, but seeing as how it was most important to me just to be near Jen, it didn't matter to me what we were doing. It was sad to say goodbye again, but not as hard on me as last month. I wonder if it was easier, harder or the same for Jen.
Just before my unit was released for the 3-day pass, and after the obligatory safety brief, we had the "IR patch" ceremony. Everyone, at once, tore off their "colors" patch from their right arm ("colors" refers to the American Flag with a golden border) and replaced it with a black and white, infrared version, which is worn "in theater". Ceremonies such as this are always a little cheesey, but this one had some poignancy as well, as it signified that we are ready to head overseas and do our jobs to help the fight.
It is essential, due to OPSEC (Operational Security), to keep myself out of trouble and for the safety of my unit and me, that I not post specific information about the coming movement overseas to public web sites, like this one, or even Facebook even though my privacy settings are strict. Please likewise refrain from doing so. General comments, inquiries and well-wishes are fine and coveted, but no information, to include dates, unit designations and/or locations. If you're curious about any specifics are things I don't mention, drop me a line and I'll answer what I can.
It is now allowable to send mail and/or packages to my APO. My unit will begin drawing mail as of the 20th. Please LMK if you do not have the address and want it. I have no idea how long it takes for mail to gets from the States to there. We'll see!
Well, I have formation to get a bunch of shots soon, so I have to sign off. You're all loved and missed. I hope this message finds you all in the best of health and happiness.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment