Dear Friends and Family,
Hello from Camp Virginia, Kuwait. I guess there are a couple of news-worthy items to report.
First of all, the mission here on Camp Virginia is in full-swing, mission op-tempo. It's been rough getting the mission off the ground, especially since the powers-that-be sent too few personnel out here initially to allow us a day off once the mission got underway. That screwed us over for a few weeks, but now we have reinforcements and tentative days off have begun. 1 day off a week max, which doesn't sound like a lot, but, when you're missing home every spare moment you have, it's actually nice to stay busy. The mission is going well. Though I did nothing to seek this mission out and was actually actively involved in trying to pick up other deployments when I got cross-leveled for this one, I'm very pleased with what the Army has asked me to do, at least for now--help the Army gets its soldiers and equipment out of Iraq.
Second, today I underwent the APFT. Despite breathing problems, likely brought on by all the f#*$ing dust around here, I scored quite well. I got 93 points for pushups, 100 points for situps and 87 points for the run. My short-term goal is to achieve 90 points in all three events, minimum. That will get me a "high-speed" little patch to sew on my PT shirts (as long as I can continue to post those scores). Longer term will be to max the test and go on the "extended scale". If you get at least 100 in all events, then your extra reps count for extra points. I do PT 5 to 6 days a week around here. Helps to pass the time. I don't do a whole lot of lifting. Each major muscle group only gets one session a week. I concentrate more on cardio. I do cardio 5 days a week now. 3 days of just an hour on the bike, keeping my heartrate between 125 and 160 bpm. 2 days a week is more intensive. 2 hours total. An hour on the bike doing 60/120s (60 seconds of high rpms, which for me is about 120-130 rpms and 120 seconds of moderate rpms, which for me is about 90-95 rpms) on levels 11-13, depending on how my heartrate is doing--I try to keep it under 160 for 60/120s. 35-40 minutes on the eliptical, doing 60/120s on about level 8-10, depending on my HR, then 20-25 minutes on the treadmill at an ever-increasing pace. Right now I start around 7.2 mph and try to get to around 8 mph and stay there as long as I can, with an elevation between 0 and 1.
My favorite lifting activity right now is designed to increase stamina in my chest--10 sets of 10 reps, with minimum rest between (just while your buddy does their 10 reps) with 135 lbs. on the bar.
Soon, I'll increase the reps to 12, then 15 and so on. Eventually, I might bump the weight slightly, but the weight isn't the point.
Thank you to all the family and friends who lifted me up in prayer for my PT test. My breathing recovered just in time, getting steadily better for a couple of days, right up to the test. Now, after the test, my breathing doesn't feel 100%, but I feel ok. I'll try to be more careful about breathing through a cloth whenever I can and stuff like that.
That's all for now. You are all loved and missed.
Mike
No comments:
Post a Comment