Dear Friends and Family,
Today finds me on Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, where the main body of my unit is based. I came to requalify on the M16A2, first of all because it's a new fiscal year for the unit and all members must qualify, but second, because I'll be submitting a packet to a promotion board soon and wanted to better my score to get the most points possible. For the Staff Sergeant board you can get a maximum of 100 points for shooting. On Fort Bliss, in August, due to new equipment I hadn't trained in, Texas summer heat I wasn't used to and two consecutive nights of about an hour of sleep (and just being out of practice and sometimes I just suck), I only shot 26 out of 40--good enough to qualify, but only worth 40 points for the board. Today, having trained more with my gear, the weather being nice, having gotten about 5 whole hours of sleep and by just deciding to be awesome this time, I shot 37 out of 40, bagging 94 points for the board. Thanks for the extra 54 points! I think the max you can go to the board with is 800, so picking up 54 points is rather significant. Anyway, I is tired as heck though and want to try to talk with Jen for a while. It sucks that tomorrow is her birthday and I can't be there with her. I'm sure it will help to make her birthdays more precious than ever in the future though.
Hearts,
Mike
Today finds me on Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, where the main body of my unit is based. I came to requalify on the M16A2, first of all because it's a new fiscal year for the unit and all members must qualify, but second, because I'll be submitting a packet to a promotion board soon and wanted to better my score to get the most points possible. For the Staff Sergeant board you can get a maximum of 100 points for shooting. On Fort Bliss, in August, due to new equipment I hadn't trained in, Texas summer heat I wasn't used to and two consecutive nights of about an hour of sleep (and just being out of practice and sometimes I just suck), I only shot 26 out of 40--good enough to qualify, but only worth 40 points for the board. Today, having trained more with my gear, the weather being nice, having gotten about 5 whole hours of sleep and by just deciding to be awesome this time, I shot 37 out of 40, bagging 94 points for the board. Thanks for the extra 54 points! I think the max you can go to the board with is 800, so picking up 54 points is rather significant. Anyway, I is tired as heck though and want to try to talk with Jen for a while. It sucks that tomorrow is her birthday and I can't be there with her. I'm sure it will help to make her birthdays more precious than ever in the future though.
Hearts,
Mike
No comments:
Post a Comment