Saturday, January 28, 2012

Lucky 13: LT Dan Band... Don't Stop Believin'

Dear friends and family,

Today was overall a good day. At least it ended on a high note, as they say...
I spent the morning making coffee and outmeal (covertly, as my hot water kettle is contraband) in my room and dodging the firey, accusatory darts of The Enemy, trying to condemn me for joining the military, leaving my wife home with some deep and difficult struggles (when I could be home making her miserable in person, for all we know). Yes, it pains me that I can't be home to comfort and stabilize my mate and the love of my life. Yes, I chose this life and not entirely for altruistic, patriotic reasons. I partly chose this life to be able to better provide for my family long-term. I partly chose this life because both of my grandfathers and my step-father served in the military and I wanted to know their struggles and to truly, personally appreciate what they did. I partly chose this life because I believe every family is strengthened by being involved, in some way, no matter how slight, in military service. I partly chose this life because it was a dream--one of those dreams that nags you and denies you total peace, because you always wonder what it is really like to try to rise up to the challenge and endure. Yes, part of my decision involved the knowledge that my wife would pay with pain and hardship. She knew that as well and stood by me, lending her support, lovingly and sacrificially. Rather than wishing I were home or wishing my life were easier, I am seeking my purpose here, seeking to be built stronger so that I can be used for greater good in the days, weeks and years to come. Similarly, I refuse to believe my wife's pain is pointless either. How do I know that she will not be used in the wake of this experience to reach out and help someone who is suffering because their loved one is far from home? Ah, just one month until I'm winging my way home, God willing, for two weeks of "Jen time!!!"
My day improved, slightly, when I headed to the Gary Sinise Meet & Greet, though I got a late start and was deep, back in line. By the time I got my turn, there was virtually no time to chat and you had to group up in 4's or 5's for the photo. Oh well. It was an honor to meet that man, even if only for a second.
The next hour or so of my day was spent dealing with having locked myself out of my room! Still not used to the new-new digs. Thankfully my roomie works nearby (about a 10 minute walk) and he had his key on him. Coulda been worse.
My day improved again, vastly this time, when I made it to the pool for my first laps in around 5 years. 22 meter lanes, which I swam 27 times and additionally did some exercises, which I still remember from when Jason and Heather were teaching me to swim as I contemplated joining the Coast Guard!
Finally, it was time to head for the Lt. Dan Band show. A Lt. Dan clip from the film Forest Gump opened things up. The one where Lt. Dan challenges God in a storm at sea. A variety of songs were played, seemingly something for everyone. There was some Country for the rednecks, some R&B, a lot of Rock, a little jazziness, some reggae-ish stuff and some Nu Metal.
Gary Sinise is a man called to encourage and show appreciation for the troops of his country. He devotes his own personal time, with no press, to visting airports to greet deploying and returning troops. He once met a deploying friend of mine on his way to Iraq during OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom). When my friend returned home a year plus later Gary saw him again and not only remembered that he had a daughter and asked how she was, but also remembered my friend's former rank and congratulated him on the promotion. He took the opportunity, just before the "end" of the show (there was, of course an encore) to thank all in attendance and those spread throughout the globe, unable to attend, for making an effort to defend freedom in this world. He shared his observation from playing a show at a base in South Korea: that nowhere in the world, in his view, is the line between freedom and slavery so very clear. One can look across the border just 100 meters and see absolute oppression. And it is the military of the United States of America that chiefly helps protect the people of South Korea.
An absolute highlite was when band leader and co-guitarist, Kimo Williams, a combat engineering veteran of the Vietnam conflict, played and sang an inspired version of Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze," which he said he recalled playng during his tour of Vietnam. As he announced the song he related that, at a certain point in his tour, he was invited to play guitar and sing for fellow troops at bases on the front lines (when his talent was discovered on R&R) and that he was told to take his M-16 and guitar, and depending on what happened choose which one to use.
Other standout tracks included "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," with an appropriately possessed fiddle solo, "Bring Me to Life," by Evanescence, which made me very heartsick for my wife, as we have rocked out to it many times together and I relate it to her, "Don't Stop 'Til You've Had Enough," by Michael Jackson (sung by a chick, lol) and "Don't Stop Believin'," by Journey (which you knew unless you live under a rock). "Don't Stop Believin'" is an amazing song, in that it has long defied becoming a cliche, even though it is selected so often for sporting events, cover band shows, movies and karaoke outings. It seems to always deliver. Tonight was especially so. Each of the 5 very capable lead singers of the group covered various parts of the main vocal line and also encouraged the crowd to take over a few times. It seems the crowd responded the most to it. People looked around, enjoying watching each other sing like fools. Maybe soldiers were brought together a little more than before, better ready to face the ongoing mission. Spirits were definitely lifted, mine at the very least. When I feel isolated from most of what I love in this world, I won't stop believin'. When The Enemy tries to tear me down with false accusations, I won't stop believin'. When I worry over what the future holds for my family and me, my country and this area of the world, I won't stop believin'. When I feel helpless because I can't be home to help solve problems for and bring comfort to those I love, I wont. stop. believin'.

Pics from the show:
 
Grace and peace,
 
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment