Monday, June 25, 2012

#17 - A Series of "Lasts"

As this deployment draws to a close (at long last), I have been struck for a number of days now, buy a series of last events--that last time something will happen while I'm here (this time...)
Buying the last bar of Old Spice High Endurance Fresh deodorant, the last bucket of wetty-wipes (Disney Princess packaging--they were out of Tow-Mater, ok?), the last 30-day "Qnet" internet access card; writing a dear friend one last letter.
Today I changed the battery in my electric toothbrush for the last time and changed the battery in my razor while I was at it...
This week, I'm attending my last ARCENT University IT class. When it is over I won't have tooo long to go.
Other "lasts" I'm not aware of yet! For all I know, I might not enter certain buildings again, walk down the same roads, run the same routes. Soon it will be time for that last hair cut, last work out, last supper...
Not that I'm sentimental about this place--not at all. Each "last" is a milestone, is a reminder that the end is soon and each one feels pretty good.
In other ways, time is dragging by, as I knew it would, the closer we get to departing this land for home. I find myself thinking of home for long periods of time, remembering sights, smells, the way things feel, the taste of favorite foods, favorite beers and other drinks, the sound of cherished-ones' voices, their laughs...

No comments:

Post a Comment