Dear friends and family,
BLUF (bottom line up front): I won the 364th ESC NCO of the Quarter competition. There is a bit of a story there. It's been a looong couple of weeks since I received the email saying I had been nominated for a smaller board, the 364th HHC NCO of the Quarter board...
First of all, I wasn't initially nominated, from what I understand. 364th HHC asked each section of the 364th ESC to nominate one soldier and one sergeant for the board on January 14th. My section nominated another sergeant--one who was serving with me out on Camp Virginia, a very worthy nominee. A senior NCO from my section (the IT department), however, decided it would be "high speed" to nominate another NCO and soldier--and it was allowed, so, by the time the email went out to "study NOW," my name was on the nominees list.
[Musical aside] God, I love this song. "One," by Metallica, (from ...And Justice for All). Based on the novel "Johnny Got His Gun." It's a real gut-wrencher--the novel more than the song, but the song is sad and powerful too. Sometimes I feel almost as alone as the soldier from that book--lying in a hospital bed with no arms, legs, eyes, ears or mouth--blown up from a shell in WWI--slowly coming to the awareness of what has happened to him--desperately trying to find a way to communicate with the world again and struggling to understand his new place in it.
Around January 13th I made the move from Camp Virginia back to Camp Arifjan. Shortly thereafter it was time for the HHC board. It was a small board of 3 NCOs (up to the First Sergeant of the HHC) and the questions weren't super tough, if one took good advantage of the study materials at armystudyguide dot com. Still, it was tough to find the time and energy to study much, with closing down operations on Camp Virginia and making the move. One thing I undertook the challenge of memorizing was the NCO Creed, a very long, tough creed... I felt the board went pretty well. I felt pretty confident about each of my answers to approximately 10 questions. When asked if I had anything to add at the end of the board, I recited a brief bio I had written, during which I stated that a short-term goal of mine was to achieve a minimum score of 90 in all the 3 events of the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test). The NCO Creed was not asked for by the board and I didn't volunteer it. I was still so-so on it anyway. A couple of days later, I was fetched from my living quarters to head in to the building I work at for the awards ceremony. I was not surprised that I won, but it was far from a sure thing. I WAS surprised, however, when I was awarded the AAM (Army Achievement Medal) for winning (as was the soldier winner--awarded, that is--don't know if he was surprised). I was anticipating something more like a company coin or a COA (Certificate of Achievement).
Now listening to: "The Frayed Ends of Sanity," about paranoia. I've always liked this one and I especially have since I met my wife, because of her fascination with psychology. This song surely was inspirational to Megadeth's "Sweating Bullets." Dave Mustaine, leader of Megadeth and a former member of Metallica (being so reckless that you get kicked out of Metallica is epic, FAIL, bad-ass and awesome all at once), has a tendency to put out songs with a similar theme as Metallica ones an album or two later, it seems to me...
Anyways, you could have knocked me over with a feather, but there I was with an AAM. I felt humbled, blessed, honored, embarrassed and surprised. Many times a soldier doesn't get an AAM for the achievements of an entire deployment.
I then learned that I would be competing in the 364th ESC NCO of the Quarter competion a few days later. Actually, I had known from that initial "study NOW" email that I could potentially face this competition, but only the winners and runners-up from 364th ESC's various downtrace units (and it's own smaller parts) were allowed to compete.
I began to study in earnest for the much broader scope of the competition--a board with more questions, asked by sergeants major and command sergeants major, a written exam, a 5-event battlefield skill test and a PT test (the APFT). I continued reciting the NCO creed to myself as often as I got a chance--in the bathroom, on the bus to and from work, while dressing, etc.
I studied current events, drill and ceremony, military history, weapons, physical fitness standards, customs and courtesies, Army programs, medevac and first aid procedures and many other things. Yesterday, in the evening at work, I told my senior and friend, Staff Sergeant Jacobsen (T-Rex) that I needed to practice the NCO creed in front of someone. I hoped he'd have a few minutes during the shift to go out back and help me. Instead, he assembled my entire section (everyone on shift), so I recited the creed for six soldiers and NCOs and got their feedback. That was very valuable. I greatly respect SSG J as a man, a friend (a chess player) and an NCO. I asked to be taught to swim in a nice, warm pool and instead he threw me in to an alligator-infested river, He thought bigger. He did right and I benefited.
Now playing: "To Live is to Die," Metallica's instrumental tribute to their fallen bandmate, master bass player and brilliant arranger, Cliff Burton. This song, after all these years, still touches me and makes me miss Cliff. Metallica have put out great, worthy material after his loss, ...And Justice for All, Garage Days and Load (IMO) included, but Cliff's touch makes Master of Puppets and parts of Ride the Lightning and Kill 'Em All unparalleled and untouchable. Metallica with Cliff, at it's best, is beautiful metal madness, often influenced by the writings of H. P. Lovecraft, by whose work I am charmed, entertained, amused and appalled. We digress...
I studied chain of command, including the President's cabinet members. I got a haircut especially for the board... I studied while the Indian man cut my hair... Field manual numbers, ARs, names, dates, creeds...
Finally, it was today, the day of the competition. I arose early, after crappy sleep, to eat some special K cereal with dried "red berries" (strawberries), some oatmeal, some jerky and drink some coffee. Hydration was taken care of the night before: water and water-soaked chia seeds! It was time for some CARBS, baby!
I made my way to the PT test, which began shortly after the 06:30 introduction to the competition. This was the first time I was introduced to my competitors--the winners and runners-up from the other NCO boards subordinate to the ESC (and ESC is similar in size to a brigade, I'm told, but larger and not exactly the same (for those curious)--it's an ESC!) Winners and runners-up of the various soldier boards (E-4 and below) were present too, they just weren't my competition. Well-carbed, and filled with some Accelgel and some NaNo Vapor for good measure, I proceeded to max out the push-ups event (for my age group) with 75 pushups. I quit with 9 or 10 seconds to go (given 2 minutes). After a few minutes, I maxed out the situps with 77, with a few seconds to spare. Situps have never been a problem for me--I'm not sure I've ever NOT maxed them. The pushups, on the other hand, I have improved on greatly this year. I formerly would score mid-eighties on them on a good day. Still, the last 2 APFTs I took, I got higher than 90 points, which meant that I only needed to bring my run up above 90 points to get the PT patch award. You have to have at least 90 in each event. So, I've been training on the run for nearly this whole deployment. Training pretty hard, I might add. Pretty consistently. Determinedly. Hey, it helps to keep a soldier from going crazy while deployed to focus on goals and fitness helps burn off steam, have energy during work and stimulates mental functions too. So, 90-90-90 minimum on the APFT was a good goal for me to set.
This is funny... now... So, a bunch of the competitors had lined up for the run--meaning, all of them except me! I was intent on stretching. I missed the signs that it was time to line up. My sponsor also missed the fact that I hadn't lined up. So did the scorers! They called start while I was shaking off my PT pants, getting ready to head for the start. I got the pants off and sprinted for the start, yelling, "holy SHIT" on my way there. Some of the scorers laughed at this. I focused on trying to overtake the pack of runners and get my race against the clock under control. At least I was well-stretched! Before the end of the first lap I was chasing the lead soldier, a male 10 years my junior, I hear. My sponsor faithfully called my splits for me, so I could determine if I needed to speed up, maintain pace or back off (yeah, right) to achieve my desired 90 points minimum on the run (a 14:24 2-mile). I pushed as hard as I felt was prudent. I finished with a 14:22... 90 points. The next point increase occurs around 14:16 or 14:14, I want to say.
I had reached one of my goals! 100-100-90 on the APFT. Unfortunately, I was told soon thereafter, by a scorer, that the test would not count toward the PT patch for which I'm on a quest. It's unclear why--that's just the way it is. Oh wells, I say. I now know I can do it. I will train even harder and, God willing, next record APFT, I will do it. Maybe I'll even reach my new short-term PT goal--the extended scale. That's when you achieve a minimum of 100 on each event--you are then awarded points for any additional reps beyond the max (you can't go over 300 without 100 in each category, so no 95-110-100, for instance). I scored a 290 on the APFT. That's a very respectable score, particularly for a non-combat-arms unit. I had no real idea how my competitors had done though. With different age groups, different reps and times get you differing amounts of points. One of the NCOs was also female and there are scoring differences there too. So, I thought it was a very strong event for me, but there was no announcement of who was in the lead at that point (or any other point, it would turn out).
Now playing: "Life in Technicolor II," by Coldplay. Viva La Vida is my "Hazel album."
I felt the 50-question written test went well. I'm comfortable with written exams, usually. I only knew about half the answers, but probably did ok guessing on many others. And if it was hard for me, I had a little faith/hope that it was hard for every one else too. So, I assumed that was a good event for me.
We were then given an hour to get out of our PT uniforms (the IPFU--Improved Physical Fitness Uniform), in to our "full battle rattle" and to the battlefield skills testing site.
The 5 events consisted of 1) disassembling and reassembling an M16, 2) plotting points and courses on a map, 3) calling in a 9-line medevac and IED incident report on the radio, 4) "saving" a combat casualty & 5) detaining and searching a suspicious person, while fielding questions from the press in a sensitive environment. That last one was weird and fun. In between events 2 and 3, for me, I actually did a real interview with the press (PAO--Public Affairs Office)! Maybe that will get aired sometime. I think I did "ok" at these events, but if I had any lead over other competitors, I bet they made up some ground here... I learned a lot and can focus on strengthening some weaknesses for the future.
After these events were over, we were given about an hour to get in to our board uniforms and get to the board. I took the opportunity that hour to go over the NCO Creed about 5 more last times! I also gobbled some paleo snacks (fruits, nuts and jerky), shaved and checked current events.
The board was tough, presided over by the 364th ESC Command Sergeant Major, who was accompanied by 2 other CSMs and 2 Sergeants Major.
Now playing, "Monarchy of Roses," a new Red Hot Chili Peppers track--a Christmas acquisition, courtesy of my Aunties and Uncle Rick. RHCP are one of my all-time favorites. I can't wait to watch their Slane Castle DVD, also picked up for Christmas. If my day off on Saturday materializes, I may feel I have sufficient free time to enjoy it!
I gave a brief bio toward the beginning of the board, this time, when asked. I think the panel was impressed when I stated that at the board a few days before one of my short-term goals was to score 90-90-90 on the APFT, but that I had just done it earlier this morning, so my new goal was to hit the extended scale!
The questions were tough. I only positively knew about a 1/3 of the answers, I believe. I gave confident answers to all but 3 though (there were about 18 total). Regarding the three I could not answer, I promised I would follow up, saying, "I do not know the answer at this time, but will follow up with you, (Command) Sergeant Major." And I did. I found the answers and tracked down each panelist and gave them the answers. In two cases, I actually had to track them down first just to ask what question I needed to follow up on, because it had slipped my mind, due to everything I was dealing with. I don't know if following-up like that made a difference, but I believe it was the right thing to do. I don't believe it is right to pay lip service to someone by telling them you'll follow-up and then not do it. Anyway, near the end of the board, the president asked me if I had anything I'd like to add. I replied, "seeing as how this is an NCO competition, I feel it is appropriate to recite the NCO Creed, with your permission." The president gave the ok. I stood to attention (I had been sitting at attention). Before I began, and to my surprise, so did the panel. I got a tingle down my spine. It was a moment I'll always remember. I had been debating with myself for days whether or not I would attempt the Creed as a closer if it were not required. Now, it was ON!!!
[Musical aside] "The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie." Flea's bass playing. I can get positively lost in it.
It was, of course, natural for the panel to stand at attention for the Creed. It is the proper honor for the Creed. I am lucky that I gave the Creed that honor, because I was unsure going in if I should remain seated or stand. If I had chosen to remain seated, it could have felt very awkward and been perceived as lazy or a slight and could have turned a good thing very bad. So, I looked over the president's right ear and started in, "the creed of the non-commissioned officer!" My voice was somewhat nervous. I believe I had a couple of very minor stumbles, but, overall, I think it was pretty solid. Many NCOs (maybe most?), even after many years in the corps of NCOs, do not know the Creed by heart. When I finished the creed, the president saluted me and said, "hooah," in a way that had a "hell-yes," "outstanding," "that was awesome" type of quality to it, if I interpreted it right. I returned his salute and he informed me that I was dismissed. Before dropping my salute, I should have told him "Sustain the Fight," by tradition, but I did not, the moment being overshadowed in my mind by the Creed. I could have been docked points for that, but, oh well! I don't think I could live with myself if I had put all that effort in to learning the Creed and then had not used it.
A couple of hours later, the contestants were ushered in to the same room where the board had been held. The commander of the 364th ESC, Brigadier General Ive's flag had been set up, so we knew he was coming. Members of the ESC, other dignitaries and sponsors of the contestants gathered around. Then, the general made his appearance. From where I was, I noticed a couple of ARCOMs waiting on a table. I would have been happy if another soldier, particularly my friend Amanda, had won the award, but I do admit that my pulse quickened at the prospect of winning it. Command Sergeant Major Jennings said words and without much ado, I was announced as the winner for the NCOs. The soldier winner was announced--a soldier from a down-trace. We were then told to post and we were standing face-to-face with the general and command sergeant major. We were presented with the ARCOMs. Photos were taken--not only of the award presentations, but all the other contestants too--of the whole ceremony and gathering. Finally, the ceremony was adjourned and I shook hands with dozens of officers, NCOs and soldiers. I was told by one of my seniors that "more is expected now, you know..." I replied, "of course!" SSG Jacobsen told me he was proud and that he didn't even have an ARCOM--to stress the importance and meaning of what had just happened.
Awards are a right time/right place type of thing, in many ways. Still, when you're in the right time and place you still have to step up. Well, in many cases. Sometimes life is unfair, but I won't go further in to that here.
"Even You Brutus?" Red Hot Chili Peppers hip-hop/rock-type track. Super cool. Love it.
Finally, it's time for an evening of down-time--I'm sipping some Good Earth tea and later I plan to enjoy a Liam Neeson movie, courtesy of my mother (or Santa--whatev).
If you read all that, you really love me--oooor you're super-bored, maybe.
Until next time,
Mike
BLUF (bottom line up front): I won the 364th ESC NCO of the Quarter competition. There is a bit of a story there. It's been a looong couple of weeks since I received the email saying I had been nominated for a smaller board, the 364th HHC NCO of the Quarter board...
First of all, I wasn't initially nominated, from what I understand. 364th HHC asked each section of the 364th ESC to nominate one soldier and one sergeant for the board on January 14th. My section nominated another sergeant--one who was serving with me out on Camp Virginia, a very worthy nominee. A senior NCO from my section (the IT department), however, decided it would be "high speed" to nominate another NCO and soldier--and it was allowed, so, by the time the email went out to "study NOW," my name was on the nominees list.
[Musical aside] God, I love this song. "One," by Metallica, (from ...And Justice for All). Based on the novel "Johnny Got His Gun." It's a real gut-wrencher--the novel more than the song, but the song is sad and powerful too. Sometimes I feel almost as alone as the soldier from that book--lying in a hospital bed with no arms, legs, eyes, ears or mouth--blown up from a shell in WWI--slowly coming to the awareness of what has happened to him--desperately trying to find a way to communicate with the world again and struggling to understand his new place in it.
Around January 13th I made the move from Camp Virginia back to Camp Arifjan. Shortly thereafter it was time for the HHC board. It was a small board of 3 NCOs (up to the First Sergeant of the HHC) and the questions weren't super tough, if one took good advantage of the study materials at armystudyguide dot com. Still, it was tough to find the time and energy to study much, with closing down operations on Camp Virginia and making the move. One thing I undertook the challenge of memorizing was the NCO Creed, a very long, tough creed... I felt the board went pretty well. I felt pretty confident about each of my answers to approximately 10 questions. When asked if I had anything to add at the end of the board, I recited a brief bio I had written, during which I stated that a short-term goal of mine was to achieve a minimum score of 90 in all the 3 events of the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test). The NCO Creed was not asked for by the board and I didn't volunteer it. I was still so-so on it anyway. A couple of days later, I was fetched from my living quarters to head in to the building I work at for the awards ceremony. I was not surprised that I won, but it was far from a sure thing. I WAS surprised, however, when I was awarded the AAM (Army Achievement Medal) for winning (as was the soldier winner--awarded, that is--don't know if he was surprised). I was anticipating something more like a company coin or a COA (Certificate of Achievement).
Now listening to: "The Frayed Ends of Sanity," about paranoia. I've always liked this one and I especially have since I met my wife, because of her fascination with psychology. This song surely was inspirational to Megadeth's "Sweating Bullets." Dave Mustaine, leader of Megadeth and a former member of Metallica (being so reckless that you get kicked out of Metallica is epic, FAIL, bad-ass and awesome all at once), has a tendency to put out songs with a similar theme as Metallica ones an album or two later, it seems to me...
Anyways, you could have knocked me over with a feather, but there I was with an AAM. I felt humbled, blessed, honored, embarrassed and surprised. Many times a soldier doesn't get an AAM for the achievements of an entire deployment.
I then learned that I would be competing in the 364th ESC NCO of the Quarter competion a few days later. Actually, I had known from that initial "study NOW" email that I could potentially face this competition, but only the winners and runners-up from 364th ESC's various downtrace units (and it's own smaller parts) were allowed to compete.
I began to study in earnest for the much broader scope of the competition--a board with more questions, asked by sergeants major and command sergeants major, a written exam, a 5-event battlefield skill test and a PT test (the APFT). I continued reciting the NCO creed to myself as often as I got a chance--in the bathroom, on the bus to and from work, while dressing, etc.
I studied current events, drill and ceremony, military history, weapons, physical fitness standards, customs and courtesies, Army programs, medevac and first aid procedures and many other things. Yesterday, in the evening at work, I told my senior and friend, Staff Sergeant Jacobsen (T-Rex) that I needed to practice the NCO creed in front of someone. I hoped he'd have a few minutes during the shift to go out back and help me. Instead, he assembled my entire section (everyone on shift), so I recited the creed for six soldiers and NCOs and got their feedback. That was very valuable. I greatly respect SSG J as a man, a friend (a chess player) and an NCO. I asked to be taught to swim in a nice, warm pool and instead he threw me in to an alligator-infested river, He thought bigger. He did right and I benefited.
Now playing: "To Live is to Die," Metallica's instrumental tribute to their fallen bandmate, master bass player and brilliant arranger, Cliff Burton. This song, after all these years, still touches me and makes me miss Cliff. Metallica have put out great, worthy material after his loss, ...And Justice for All, Garage Days and Load (IMO) included, but Cliff's touch makes Master of Puppets and parts of Ride the Lightning and Kill 'Em All unparalleled and untouchable. Metallica with Cliff, at it's best, is beautiful metal madness, often influenced by the writings of H. P. Lovecraft, by whose work I am charmed, entertained, amused and appalled. We digress...
I studied chain of command, including the President's cabinet members. I got a haircut especially for the board... I studied while the Indian man cut my hair... Field manual numbers, ARs, names, dates, creeds...
Finally, it was today, the day of the competition. I arose early, after crappy sleep, to eat some special K cereal with dried "red berries" (strawberries), some oatmeal, some jerky and drink some coffee. Hydration was taken care of the night before: water and water-soaked chia seeds! It was time for some CARBS, baby!
I made my way to the PT test, which began shortly after the 06:30 introduction to the competition. This was the first time I was introduced to my competitors--the winners and runners-up from the other NCO boards subordinate to the ESC (and ESC is similar in size to a brigade, I'm told, but larger and not exactly the same (for those curious)--it's an ESC!) Winners and runners-up of the various soldier boards (E-4 and below) were present too, they just weren't my competition. Well-carbed, and filled with some Accelgel and some NaNo Vapor for good measure, I proceeded to max out the push-ups event (for my age group) with 75 pushups. I quit with 9 or 10 seconds to go (given 2 minutes). After a few minutes, I maxed out the situps with 77, with a few seconds to spare. Situps have never been a problem for me--I'm not sure I've ever NOT maxed them. The pushups, on the other hand, I have improved on greatly this year. I formerly would score mid-eighties on them on a good day. Still, the last 2 APFTs I took, I got higher than 90 points, which meant that I only needed to bring my run up above 90 points to get the PT patch award. You have to have at least 90 in each event. So, I've been training on the run for nearly this whole deployment. Training pretty hard, I might add. Pretty consistently. Determinedly. Hey, it helps to keep a soldier from going crazy while deployed to focus on goals and fitness helps burn off steam, have energy during work and stimulates mental functions too. So, 90-90-90 minimum on the APFT was a good goal for me to set.
This is funny... now... So, a bunch of the competitors had lined up for the run--meaning, all of them except me! I was intent on stretching. I missed the signs that it was time to line up. My sponsor also missed the fact that I hadn't lined up. So did the scorers! They called start while I was shaking off my PT pants, getting ready to head for the start. I got the pants off and sprinted for the start, yelling, "holy SHIT" on my way there. Some of the scorers laughed at this. I focused on trying to overtake the pack of runners and get my race against the clock under control. At least I was well-stretched! Before the end of the first lap I was chasing the lead soldier, a male 10 years my junior, I hear. My sponsor faithfully called my splits for me, so I could determine if I needed to speed up, maintain pace or back off (yeah, right) to achieve my desired 90 points minimum on the run (a 14:24 2-mile). I pushed as hard as I felt was prudent. I finished with a 14:22... 90 points. The next point increase occurs around 14:16 or 14:14, I want to say.
I had reached one of my goals! 100-100-90 on the APFT. Unfortunately, I was told soon thereafter, by a scorer, that the test would not count toward the PT patch for which I'm on a quest. It's unclear why--that's just the way it is. Oh wells, I say. I now know I can do it. I will train even harder and, God willing, next record APFT, I will do it. Maybe I'll even reach my new short-term PT goal--the extended scale. That's when you achieve a minimum of 100 on each event--you are then awarded points for any additional reps beyond the max (you can't go over 300 without 100 in each category, so no 95-110-100, for instance). I scored a 290 on the APFT. That's a very respectable score, particularly for a non-combat-arms unit. I had no real idea how my competitors had done though. With different age groups, different reps and times get you differing amounts of points. One of the NCOs was also female and there are scoring differences there too. So, I thought it was a very strong event for me, but there was no announcement of who was in the lead at that point (or any other point, it would turn out).
Now playing: "Life in Technicolor II," by Coldplay. Viva La Vida is my "Hazel album."
I felt the 50-question written test went well. I'm comfortable with written exams, usually. I only knew about half the answers, but probably did ok guessing on many others. And if it was hard for me, I had a little faith/hope that it was hard for every one else too. So, I assumed that was a good event for me.
We were then given an hour to get out of our PT uniforms (the IPFU--Improved Physical Fitness Uniform), in to our "full battle rattle" and to the battlefield skills testing site.
The 5 events consisted of 1) disassembling and reassembling an M16, 2) plotting points and courses on a map, 3) calling in a 9-line medevac and IED incident report on the radio, 4) "saving" a combat casualty & 5) detaining and searching a suspicious person, while fielding questions from the press in a sensitive environment. That last one was weird and fun. In between events 2 and 3, for me, I actually did a real interview with the press (PAO--Public Affairs Office)! Maybe that will get aired sometime. I think I did "ok" at these events, but if I had any lead over other competitors, I bet they made up some ground here... I learned a lot and can focus on strengthening some weaknesses for the future.
After these events were over, we were given about an hour to get in to our board uniforms and get to the board. I took the opportunity that hour to go over the NCO Creed about 5 more last times! I also gobbled some paleo snacks (fruits, nuts and jerky), shaved and checked current events.
The board was tough, presided over by the 364th ESC Command Sergeant Major, who was accompanied by 2 other CSMs and 2 Sergeants Major.
Now playing, "Monarchy of Roses," a new Red Hot Chili Peppers track--a Christmas acquisition, courtesy of my Aunties and Uncle Rick. RHCP are one of my all-time favorites. I can't wait to watch their Slane Castle DVD, also picked up for Christmas. If my day off on Saturday materializes, I may feel I have sufficient free time to enjoy it!
I gave a brief bio toward the beginning of the board, this time, when asked. I think the panel was impressed when I stated that at the board a few days before one of my short-term goals was to score 90-90-90 on the APFT, but that I had just done it earlier this morning, so my new goal was to hit the extended scale!
The questions were tough. I only positively knew about a 1/3 of the answers, I believe. I gave confident answers to all but 3 though (there were about 18 total). Regarding the three I could not answer, I promised I would follow up, saying, "I do not know the answer at this time, but will follow up with you, (Command) Sergeant Major." And I did. I found the answers and tracked down each panelist and gave them the answers. In two cases, I actually had to track them down first just to ask what question I needed to follow up on, because it had slipped my mind, due to everything I was dealing with. I don't know if following-up like that made a difference, but I believe it was the right thing to do. I don't believe it is right to pay lip service to someone by telling them you'll follow-up and then not do it. Anyway, near the end of the board, the president asked me if I had anything I'd like to add. I replied, "seeing as how this is an NCO competition, I feel it is appropriate to recite the NCO Creed, with your permission." The president gave the ok. I stood to attention (I had been sitting at attention). Before I began, and to my surprise, so did the panel. I got a tingle down my spine. It was a moment I'll always remember. I had been debating with myself for days whether or not I would attempt the Creed as a closer if it were not required. Now, it was ON!!!
[Musical aside] "The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie." Flea's bass playing. I can get positively lost in it.
It was, of course, natural for the panel to stand at attention for the Creed. It is the proper honor for the Creed. I am lucky that I gave the Creed that honor, because I was unsure going in if I should remain seated or stand. If I had chosen to remain seated, it could have felt very awkward and been perceived as lazy or a slight and could have turned a good thing very bad. So, I looked over the president's right ear and started in, "the creed of the non-commissioned officer!" My voice was somewhat nervous. I believe I had a couple of very minor stumbles, but, overall, I think it was pretty solid. Many NCOs (maybe most?), even after many years in the corps of NCOs, do not know the Creed by heart. When I finished the creed, the president saluted me and said, "hooah," in a way that had a "hell-yes," "outstanding," "that was awesome" type of quality to it, if I interpreted it right. I returned his salute and he informed me that I was dismissed. Before dropping my salute, I should have told him "Sustain the Fight," by tradition, but I did not, the moment being overshadowed in my mind by the Creed. I could have been docked points for that, but, oh well! I don't think I could live with myself if I had put all that effort in to learning the Creed and then had not used it.
A couple of hours later, the contestants were ushered in to the same room where the board had been held. The commander of the 364th ESC, Brigadier General Ive's flag had been set up, so we knew he was coming. Members of the ESC, other dignitaries and sponsors of the contestants gathered around. Then, the general made his appearance. From where I was, I noticed a couple of ARCOMs waiting on a table. I would have been happy if another soldier, particularly my friend Amanda, had won the award, but I do admit that my pulse quickened at the prospect of winning it. Command Sergeant Major Jennings said words and without much ado, I was announced as the winner for the NCOs. The soldier winner was announced--a soldier from a down-trace. We were then told to post and we were standing face-to-face with the general and command sergeant major. We were presented with the ARCOMs. Photos were taken--not only of the award presentations, but all the other contestants too--of the whole ceremony and gathering. Finally, the ceremony was adjourned and I shook hands with dozens of officers, NCOs and soldiers. I was told by one of my seniors that "more is expected now, you know..." I replied, "of course!" SSG Jacobsen told me he was proud and that he didn't even have an ARCOM--to stress the importance and meaning of what had just happened.
Awards are a right time/right place type of thing, in many ways. Still, when you're in the right time and place you still have to step up. Well, in many cases. Sometimes life is unfair, but I won't go further in to that here.
"Even You Brutus?" Red Hot Chili Peppers hip-hop/rock-type track. Super cool. Love it.
Finally, it's time for an evening of down-time--I'm sipping some Good Earth tea and later I plan to enjoy a Liam Neeson movie, courtesy of my mother (or Santa--whatev).
If you read all that, you really love me--oooor you're super-bored, maybe.
Until next time,
Mike
That's awesome!! Great read, too. Takes me back to my military days. So proud of ya, Mike. :)
ReplyDeleteAh, your "hot airforce sergeant" days, huh? :p
DeleteThank you, Dear. I hope you are very well.
Several people have asked what I meant about life being unfair in regard to awards. Often very deserving soldiers and leaders are not rewarded as highly as they could be (or at all). Part of military service is accepting that you will do what you do without need of reward. IMO, it would be good, however, if merit were rewarded more consistently in the military. That's more or less what I was getting at.
ReplyDeletePics of HHC award ceremony:
ReplyDeletehttps://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150514474143020.381828.570303019&type=3&l=f80da9868a